Monday, September 3, 2007

92. Sumi-e Skull

Hand Ground Ink on Rice Paper with Chop Signature (paper size 9" x 12"). This is one of 45 attempts. I've never done traditional Asian brush painting before, and I realize to really master this form can take many, many years, so it was with a fair amount of chutzpah (or is that hubris) that I even tried to do this as part of a daily art project. The ink/brush set I got from the art store even included a blank soapstone chop [a traditional Asian signature seal] which I got to carve myself! If any actual brush painting masters are reading this please forgive my impertinence.

6 comments:

Monster-Maniac said...

45?! Cheers! You have great ded(dead?)ication to your art.

The Rainmaker said...

Damn, those are hot skulls you got there. Keep em coming.

Anonymous said...

I hope the sheet arranger masters aren't tweaked, too.

Unknown said...

I love your chop. Tres cool.

Kris Iden said...

This guy has a Zen elegance. But how 'bout the others though, were they really so bad?

I'm with Mim on the t-shirt obsession, this would make another highly desirable one....

...have you considered yet - Pet wear, home decor items? Stationary?
A whole new era of "Skull-Mart" could be on the horizon

bella said...

Love the site. My friend sent me the link yesterday. I haven't gotten any work done today because of it.

Question: hand ground ink? I love to use india ink. Is that the same thing??

Thanks.