Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sunday Sabbatical

Taking a break from the usual Sunday Simulacra to bring you a skull-lovers travel suggestion from Karl Hochsprung: The Beinhaus (Ossuary) in Hallstatt, Austria!

He says, "The reasoning behind the beinhaus was that there was not enough real estate to bury the town's dead in so they would bury the bodies in the cemetery for a decade or so then dig them up. They would then take the bones and the skulls and place them in this chapel. The skulls would be painted on by local artists with flowers representing different meanings. Some would have the date of death and the name on them as well... P.S. a direct translation of beinhaus, would be bone house."


6 comments:

The Gravekeeper said...

I know some people who would think this is disgusting, but I think that's about the greatest tribute you could possibly pay to the dead.

Tatman said...

Wow! I would love to have my skull looked at as an object of art. Too bad I have to be dead to do it. Nice tour suggestion.

nitebyrd said...

They are beautiful. I think it would be an honor, too.

Raccoon said...

So beautiful.

What narrow-minded person would think it is disgusting? O.o I don't understand people.

Too bad you have to know people like that, Bone Artist :D My sympathy for you.

Suzanne Dargie said...

It just proves that you can't take it with you. Your skull I mean.

mr_thye said...

this reminds me of another really cool place in Rome Italy. the Capuchin Crypt. Wiki it for more info. It's friggin sweet