Thursday, May 30, 2013

Face Off: Skull-A-Day Co-editors' Skull

Since the Skull Appreciation Day 2013 Face Off show opens tomorrow, we're giving you a sneak peek at the skull we created for the show. This skull was created by Abby "Azurafae" Davis (top left), Justin "Tatman" Lovorn (top right), and Noah Scalin (bottom). Noah digitally matched up the sections to create the final piece.



My skull quarter was inspired by the decay of nature. I used some of the plentiful fallen azalea flower from my neighbors (per their permission), bare ground of my garden, and unused play sand. There might be an inchworm hiding among the flowers. I used sand buckets to collect the flowers, and a sand shovel to arrange the sand.

Justin explained that his skull is "my simple tribute to Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman who just passed away. My love of skulls goes hand in hand with my love of metal and I wanted to remember him in the most appropriate way I could think of."

Noah revisited his ornamental skull from year one. He rearranged the ornamental pieces, to fit the skull template, so his half would line up with our quarters.

Want to see some more Face Off skulls in portion (and meet Noah, Justin, and me), head to the International Museum of Surgical Sciences in Chicago, IL for the opening on Friday, May 31, 2013 from 5pm-9pm. If you can't make it to the opening, the show will be up till August 25, 2013. Also, we'll be posting images from the show, after we all return from Chicago. We know that everyone can't join us, and as always love sharing great skull artwork!8

No comments: